The universal goal of life is happiness. Up your feel-good quotient with some of these easy-do pointers:
1. Wake up and focus for a moment on all that’s right in your life (forget the wrongs for some time). Send up a little prayer of thanks for all that’s good.
2. Drink 2-3 glasses of warm water, followed by either green tea, lemon water, or 1 tsp amala juice.
3. Spend a few minutes going through your to-do list for the day (a good idea is to make a physical list the evening before). Plan on how you will go about your tasks and proportion time to ensure you are not faced with last-moment panic attacks.
4. Get moving. Briskly. For at least 30 minutes every day. Doesn’t matter what you do: It could be a walk, aerobics, swimming, skipping on the terrace, yoga or even sweeping the house.
5. Practice meditation and pranayama to keep your mind calm and stress free. Kick start your meditation routine with 5 minutes today – just shut yourself in a cool, noise-free room and focus on god (or anything you fancy). Use mild incense, a candle and soft background music if you feel they help. Increase the time by 5 minutes every week. At first, you will find it difficult to keep your mind focused on one thing; don’t fret. The moment you realize you’re thinking of something else, pull your thoughts back.
6. Eat a healthy and wholesome breakfast. Try cereals/bread, eggs, fruits, soaked almonds and milk.
7. Include fiber, calcium and iron-rich foods such as fresh green leafy vegetables, fruits, whole grains, ragi, oats, black raisins and dates in your daily diet. If you can’t get all in on one day, space out and include through the week. But do so consciously. Make a menu plan if need be.
8. Give yourself a hair and body massage with an ayurvedic oil at least 2-3 times a week. Leave the oil on for 15-20 minutes, then shower. It will relax your mind and muscles.
9. Take time out to do things you like at least once a week to recharge.
10. While you watch TV, once in a while soak your feet in warm water with salt.
11. Once a week find time to be with your friends. It is a known happiness booster and stress-buster.
12. Make sure you get adequate sleep. Needs vary, but an average of 7-8 hours is good.
13. Plan a family vacation at least once a year, and one only with your close friends, to unwind in different ways.